Thursday, November 3, 2011

Baby Graham

CIMG0269
This was an experience I never want to forget. 
I had the opportunity to spend the night with baby Graham at Primary Children's Hospital so his mommy could go home. I have prayed for this little baby who is fighting cancer every day, and was anxious to help in any way I could. I had been up to take Sadie lunch before, so I knew some of what I was up for mentally, but not spiritually.  I had freshly washed every piece of my clothing and body. I did not want to be the one who got this little guy sick. When it came time for me to head to the hospital, I was so nervous.  What if something went wrong? I prayed for comfort. 

The minute I pulled into the parking lot, sick children and grieving parents were everywhere. As I had to follow a crying mother into the hospital, the tears started to flow. Riding in the elevator with a lady who was on the phone so discouraged made me want to hug her and take some of her pain away.  Had I really been complaining about having to change 12 diapers that day?

I made my way to ICS and scrubbed down my hands and arms, then added two helpings of hand sanitizer. I put my mask on, and was greeted by Sadie and sweet Graham. I felt like I would need a class on how to hold him so I didn't mess up his feeding tube or line. Sadie left me with a few instructions, and handed baby Graham off to me. She had just told me that they have an extra blanket in the closet if this one falls on the floor, and if his binki fell on the ground it needed to be washed really well with hot, soapy water. Within seconds of her handing him over to me, his blanket fell on the ground, and just as she was heading out the door, so did the binki. Just my luck. I swear, I have held a baby before! 

We spent the evening watching Baby Einstein's, looking out the window, and rocking. He is so mellow and calm. There was an overwhelming feeling of peace in the room. I know he has angels watching over him. As I rocked him to sleep, I couldn't help but study the perfect little baby, who was fighting for his life. I only had to watch him get two shots, some oral meds, and having dinner given to him through a tube, but that about killed me. I don't know how Sadie does it. My favorite thing about him was the way he would hold his special blanket over his head to hide any time a nurse or doctor came into the room. Poor boy has had to deal with them way too much. 

This experience changed me.  It has inspired me to be more proactive in serving others. When we were at the benefit dinner for Graham a few weeks ago, I couldn't believe how far they had come. I cried through the entire thing, and could barely touch my food. I need to celebrate each day, and not take our health for granted. 

Spending the time I did with Graham did more for me than it could have ever done for his family. It really helped put things into perspective for me. I am so thankful that Graham is improving every day, and after spending so many months in the hospital, they are now home. I was telling Sadie that I couldn't believe how strong she has been through all of this. She said, "You don't think you are strong, until being strong is your only choice." I hope that I could be the kind of mother she has been if a trial like this ever comes our way.

Go Baby Graham!

You can donate to the Graham Schanz foundation at www.helpgraham.org.

4 comments:

paront1222@comcast.net said...

WOW, sure does give one food for thought. I'll pray Graham does well and can go home soon.
Peggy in NJ

Anonymous said...

Cecily, that is so neat that you went to be with Graham. I agree, I don't know how hard that would be to go through something like that! Today I was balling as Olivia got just 2 shots today at the Dr, and she probably won't need them for another year. I can't imagine having to make that part of my daily routine. I've been following their story a bit, and all I can say is WOW! What a strong family they are!

Jason and Kendra James said...

That is so awesome of you to Cec! Not many people would do that for someone else, it really shows what kind of a sweet person and friend you are! Graham will be in our prayers, no one should have to go through that, especially so young.

Bonnie said...

It was tough watching Dallin go through his ordeal when he was 2. I got a hint of what she is dealing with, life or death, scarry times. His was not near as long,it would be so draining. It certainly puts things in perspective.